04 August 2008

A World of Oz


by HRM Deborah

Another book that was also a first edition given to me by my grandmother, from Palestine when I was a child; was a copy of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz," by L. Frank Baum and it was stolen, not long after I read the story. But this was one of those types of stories a child doesn’t forget.

Later, in the U.S. they started broadcasting the movie, with Judy Garland. For several years, I would wait in anticipation for a little enjoyment. When I first was able to see the movie, the televisions where black and white; but at that time, this was fine.

A little later, when many people all ready where getting color televisions it would be sometime before there was one within my home; but nevertheless, the first time to see the color portion of this movie in color, was a great treat for me.

Sometimes, when my life was so hard as a child, I use to think the world had to be like the color in the part where Judy Garland is singing, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and I use to wish life would just get better or ask Allah, to please make it better. Nevertheless, a little time back I found a copy of the book, while not a first edition, it was the original story with pictures; I wanted the book because of these few good memories and the fact my grandmother Dora gave me the first book.

No comments: